Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas

It seems that with growing up, the magic of Christmas is compressed into a few hours over the course the 24th and 25th of December. When I was a child the entire season was filled with magic every day. Each day seemed to last forever while I waited for the longest night of the year to arrive where I would lie in bed twitching like a heroin addict in withdrawal waiting for my parents consent to rush down the hall and finally see the presents, the wonder the entire child calender sat upon.

Growing up we didn't have any money and tho I know now that all of our gifts came from the church, my parents tried to make things wonderful for us. I remember one year we didn't have enough money for even a tree. My mother got the idea to make one with Green garland and a Hula Hoop. Tho I may not remember what the other trees of my childhood Christmas's were.. I will never forget that one. My siblings and I would go around the house dragging our feet while holding hands and taking turns touching the tree to see who would get the bigger shock. It was one time in my childhood that I truly remember being happy. We may not have had power, but we had a tree and that was good enough for us.

I am really having a hard time getting into Christmas this year. Normally my house would have been decked out with lights and stockings, pumpkin rolls would have been baking, and Christmas music would have been blaring. It's so hard to get into the feel of Christmas this year, being away from home and away from those we love. For the first time in our marriage, we are on truly on our own and we don't like it. Even tho we didn't go see family all the time, it was at least always an option. Now there is no way we can drive to see in laws for the weekend and this saddens me a lot. Most people don't really like their inlaws, they just put up with them. But me.. I LOVE them! Every single one of them. I see how they are with each other as a family and find myself envious that mine is no where near that. I mean most of us get a long fine.. but we aren't so tight with each other. My mother and father in law do so much for our family, more then they ever have to and I really do appreciate them and am very thankful I have them in my life.

I need to find a way to get into the Christmas groove for my kids. They are so excited to open the gifts under the tree, they have been counting down the days. I am excited for that as well.. to see their faces when they get to open up the gifts they have been drooling over. To see the way they light up when I walk into their room and tell them that it is time to go downstairs. Maybe tonite.. I will bust out the Christmas Karaoke tracks with kids and enjoy their excitement with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment